Monday, May 30, 2011

Japanese change purses

I have been crushing on coin purses ever since seeing a tutorial on the Purl Bee. While I splurged and bought some Liberty fabric, I could not bring myself to spend the $20-25 per frame to make their coin purse! Instead, I found some frames (with extra large colored bobbles) on etsy for under $3 a piece. Much better, thanks!


I also have been sitting on a set of Japanese charms for some time, waiting for the right project. When I saw the frames, I knew I had my match. A perfect pairing! There is a Cinderella, a Princess and the Frog, and my favorite childhood story, The Wizard of Oz :-)





Cute little linings from my stash:


But why stop there? Of course my daughters were all over this project. They are age 5 and 4, and nothing thrills them like a shiny penny! Could I make one for them? For their friend? Sure, why not?
For The Middle Child, who adores pink, I used some pre-made felt flowers and polka dots from Stampin' Up, and stitched them (with a ribbon stem) to linen. And of course a coordinating one for her BFF.

Polka dots on the back:Pretty pink floral lining:

I also hand embroidered her friend's name at my daughter's request- it will be filled with coins and given as a gift at her upcoming birthday party.

For Last But Not Least, orange is the go-to color, so orange bobbles and some sweet little Heather Ross goldfish where paired with some blue corduroy from my stash.

Some Amy Butler orange and blue Love dots for lining, and she was wearing one heck of a big smile!


I think these will be perfect for the little girls in my life. May need to make some more for the big girls? ;)

Linking up at Sew Modern Monday and Fabric Tuesday.

23 comments:

Natasha said...

I love these. My girls would love these...might have to do some online shopping later....

Katie B said...

Oh my fish, these are precious!

(my auto correct changed "gosh" to "fish" but I'm choosing to leave it. And I might start saying "oh my fish!")

I entered the Japanese import charm swap at Gen X quilters, and this is the perfect project for those charms!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

So cute!! I especially love the corduroy one!!

Little Island Quilting said...

Wow - you've been busy!

randi said...

aaack! these are just too cute! those bobbles make these purses extra fun!

Stephanie said...

So cute! And my daughter had that kitty outfit your daughter has in the last photo :)

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

These are wonderful, I love them! (I might start saying Oh, my fish, too!)
Is it difficult to attach the frames?
I love your fabric choices, so cute!

Amy Friend said...

They are completely adorable! My, my you have been busy!

- t. said...

Where did you find these adorable clasps with the big gum ball closures??? Adorable!

Kristy said...

Oh my goodness! Those are crazy cute!!! Loving that HR fishie one! :)

Sharon said...

So cute! Those are some lucky girls. :)

Shay said...

These are almost too pretty to use...utterly gorgeous. My favourite is the flower one for Jadyn!

Love the biobbles .They just give the purses extra pizzaz...

felicity said...

Oh my Fish! Ha ha that made me laugh. They ARE adorable. Big girls would def. like them too.

Emily said...

Oooh I love the one with the fishies!

Unknown said...

Love these! I want to buy purse frames now! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For posting that Etsy- link. You just saved my summer craft markets.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I have not seen anything so cute as those!!! totally adorable!

Lisa said...

just wow! these are so pretty!
hugs
xoxo

Bree said...

Oh my, these are absolutely ADORABLE!!! I love them all, but I've always got a special place in my heart for the Wizard of Oz because of a big family joke we've got about my sister being named after Auntie Em. And the Heather Ross fish? *swoon*

Susanne said...

I love these bobbles!!!

Lori said...

A-dorable! You are making me want to purchase those frames. But then I am thinking - are these a pain to attach?

Rajni said...

Hi,

This little change purse is so cute, it looks like a pair of shorts and has a little outside pocket on the back. This change purse is a great size for small change and cash. Thanks a lot...

Purses

Rachelle said...

These are adorable! I might have to learn how to use a sewing machine just to make one of these. I love the colored clasp. It would be super easy to find in a purse (although why would you want to hide it in there?).