Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to School!!

Unlike our neighbors to the south, Canadian students stick it out in class until the bitter end of June, and in turn don't return to class until after the September long weekend (i.e. now). Which meant, being the procrastinator that I tend to be, that last week the kids I are where schlepping around the malls in search of pencils, binders, shoes, backpacks and the likes. All sorts of money spent on new shiny things, and the kids of course were super appreciative:

"This is so SUPER boring!"
"All these backpacks are lame."
etc, etc.

Last But Not Least insisted on some sparkly red shoes for preschool:

And we finally found some "non-lame" backpacks for the kids (halleluiah!). They had a little tag outlining the features of the bag like so:

And what did Big G say when he saw the tag showing the cooler area filled with can drinks?
"Look! This backpack even has a place for me to carry my Bud Lite!"


Oh, the fun continued as we hit the classic back-to-school stomping grounds: Walmart. AND, I sadly crossed the line and became one of Those Parents I swore I would never be- the one dining in Walmart's McDonald's. It's like the combination of 2 of the most mundane places on earth, eh? Well, I did it. Afterwards, we hit the restrooms and my son was waiting for us girls outside the door. When I came out, he was so very excited as he showed me a dime and a penny he had found.

"Where did you get those?"
"Well, I was doing push ups and I saw them under that thing and I couldn't just LEAVE them there!"
"Wait- WHY were you doing pushups on the floor outside of the washroom at Walmart again?
"BECAUSE, Mom (eye roll). Anyways, aren't they bea-U-tiful? I love them to much I want to marry them." To coins: "You're adorable!"

Yes, I have weird kids.

Added a bit of a crafty gift in those backpacks to start off on the right foot with all of the new teachers! All the ideas and printables are from an awesome blog I just discovered called eighteen25 and were found here. First up, some pencils for the teachers at preschool:

For the big kids, I sent these along:

Aren't they cute? I found the owl calculators (don't they look "wise"??) at Staples for only $5 and I even already had orange owl ribbon in the depths of my craft room. See? All this hoarding pays off once and awhile!

Anyways, I love my kids to pieces, but can't say I am too sad about off-loading them to school again. As my son asked, "Are we getting on your nerds?" Umm, yes. Quite often. ;)

Back to school will score me about 2 mornings per week all to myself when not at work...ahhhhh! And I resolve not to use this time for groceries, laundry, etc. Not even for time on the computer. Nope, I am going to use it to craft the crap out of stuff! Whooo hoooo!!

17 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Getting on your "nerds"????? Your kids crack me up :) Congrats to having some free crafty time for yourself - I'm trying hard to do the same with my "free" time. I love the visual of your Big G doing push-ups at Wal-Mart, that's hysterical :)

randi--i have to say said...

your kids are cracking me up! such a guy-thing to be doing push ups at wally world!

i hope you enjoy your extra crafting time! and i do look forward to seeing what you create!

Debbie Cook said...

Bud Lite, "Nerds", Wally World and McD's ... all too funny!

Patti said...

Now, where could your kids possibly get their sense of humour from!! Love the owl calculators too.

Riel Nason said...

Ha,ha! La,la,la ... it's the most wonderful time of the year. And yes we were also in the mall on Sunday ... it was the sneakers we needed ...

Little Island Quilting said...

Well written. Curved up the corners of my tight-lipped Northern European face and for that alone I think I like you ;-)

KendasCrafts said...

lol! Have fun crafting the crap out of stuff!

Tanya said...

I love what you did with those calculators. Your kids are cuties. My kids just started today too:)

bethanndodd said...

Yay for back~to~school and getting a couply of hours to yourself. You deserve it after all of that school shopping! Smiles~Beth

Kati said...

Love the "nerds" comment! Ahh, two mornings each week all to yourself. That's just like heaven. Have fun!

Poppyprint said...

Woohoo for crafting the crap out of stuff while the kids are learning REALLY IMPORTANT things at school. Like how to line up without talking.hehe.
Way to kiss up to the teachers on the first day Kristie - those gifts are pretty cute! Your kids will easily bypass detention now!

Little Blue Mouse said...

Ha ha, what a lovely turn of phrase "crafting the crap out of stuff". I can see who your kids take after!

Lynne said...

Enjoy your two mornings a week and try not to miss them too much! LOL

BTW, as a teacher I never received gifts at the beginning of the academic year - your kids will stand out for sure!

Lee said...

Your kids crack me up! Thanks for the laugh. BTW, Wisconsin and Michigan are both on the Canadian school schedule, we just started here too. : )

Tawny said...

Oooh two whole mornings to craft! You are a lucky woman. I don't have any free this year, but next I'll have 3 whole mornings. :D Bliss. Enjoy them. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, was that Big G or the 'mini-me' version of Big K making the Bud Light comment?! Di

Beeshebags said...

Waaaaah why can't Staples have stores worldwide? well not worldwide, one in Australia so I can get me an owl calculator.....don't suppose you have a paypal account and can get me one and send me the bill for it + shipping could you please? Actually, I'd better ask you to get two, one for my friend who also loves owls. Hugs Naomi